Goals The Problem?

By G T on Feb 11, 13 11:36 AM in Fans

It is looking more and more obvious, that the lack of goals will scupper the Sky Blue's hopes of a trip or two to Wembley, via the Play-Off's or JPT Final. If you totally dominate play, create 17 chances on goal and fail to score, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where to problems lie?

It was the same story against Yeovil on Saturday, with enough chances to grab a share of the spoils, but none taken. Don't get me wrong, City probably got no more than they deserved against Yeovil, who were very well organised and snuffed out anything we threw at them, but it is obvious that our lack of a goal - scorer could prove our undoing, come the end of season.

The Yeovil display was a bit of an "After the Lord Mayor's Show" performance, with too many players seemingly feeling sorry for themselves after all their hard work in midweek, but there were no signs from Leon Clarke, that he can, adequately, fill the void left by David (17 goals in 24 games) McGoldrick's departure. He looks a bit like him, but that is where the similarity ends!

I would suggest that Mark Robbins has spotted the shortcomings in our striking options, hence the signing of Danny Philliskirk, but has he got the goal scoring nous required, to pull us up the table?

The Yeovil game was, arguably, a bigger game than the Crewe match, as we are now 4 points behind Sheff Utd, Brentford & Yeovil (5th, 6th & 7th Place) but they all have 2 games in hand over us.

Is it too late, no, not really, but with the financial constraints tying Robbins hands, it will need a super human effort for us to get promoted this season!