Coventry City must bounce back

By TJL on Feb 7, 13 04:31 PM in

"YOU KNOW what the turning point was? The JPT area final against Crewe; that's where it all went wrong"

I have an exasperating fear that I will mutter these words come the end of this season. There's no denying that Tuesday night's game had the potential to be a focal point for our campaign. It was a gargantuan occasion, filled with enough pageantry and excitement to make you forget that many looked upon this competition with distain just a few months ago.

The stage was set for the Sky Blues to make 2013 a year to remember.

It often seems to be the case that when faced with a pivotal game, we fail to make it count. On numerous occasions over the past few seasons, a good run of form has culminated in an impressively attended home fixture; somewhat of a make-or-break encounter. It is unfortunate that we often opt to break not make.

With City now hauling a three goal deficit up to Gresty Road, attentions must now turn to the league (as much as it pains me to say it).

If the players wish to ingratiate themselves with the many fans that will now be brimming with negativity following Tuesday's shocker, they must bounce back with aplomb when Yeovil make their way to The Ricoh on Saturday.

A loss could prove disastrous, and not simply because of the significance of the match in terms of league positioning. I get the impression that our season hangs in the balance, with a swift return to form vital if we want to cement that elusive playoff spot.

There were many positives to take from Tuesday's game, and to say that it proves the team simply isn't good enough would be a complete non-sequitur. The fact is that we were let down by our defending, but that is not to say that our attackers aren't culpable too.

Three defensive mistakes led to three Crewe goals. They were not the type of mistake that would cause one to gasp in horror, more the type that would induce a beleaguered sigh. I personally don't feel that the errors represent underlying frailties within our back line, although the post-match finger pointing of a number of fans may suggest they believe otherwise.

We're currently in a state of league-table flux; with a plethora of teams capable of leap frogging us if they succeed in winning their games in hand. It'll be weeks, if not months, before we get a clearer picture of just how well we are placed for an assault on sixth position, but if we fail to brush aside Tuesday's inexplicable result we'll be going nowhere fast.