November 2012 Archives

G T

Reasons to be Cheerful!

By G T on Nov 23, 12 06:32 PM in Fans

With an impressive run of results, 5 wins out of last 6 games, and 4 home games on the run to come, there is a decidedly different feel about being a Sky Blues fan at present. With David McGoldrought currently on fire, breaking the club record by scoring a goal in each of the last 6 away games, there are indeed plenty of reasons to be cheerful, for Coventry fans in the run up to Christmas.

We have got: Portsmouth, Morecombe, Sheff Utd & Walsall all heading to the Ricoh in the coming 3 weeks, so if we can transfer our away form into our home games, who knows where we may be, come the New Year!

There is an old adage which states that you shouldn't look at the League table until Xmas, to get a true picture of where a team may finish, and that is an adage every City fan should adhere to, as Mark Robbins has made a real difference to the team, and given the fans at least the chance to hold their heads high, which makes a nice change!

It would be great to see a decent crowd up the Ricoh, to give the players and manager the backing their current form deserves, and get a bit of atmosphere to the place, and I am sure that will come if the current form continues.

We are scoring goals too, with 15 in our last 5 games, it is a record to be proud of.

Scoring goals, winning games, breaking records: Am I really talking about Coventry City?

EVEN the most die hard Sky Blues fan I reckon would have said to himself after the Scunthorpe game why do I bother ?

In the pub after the match that very question was asked time and time again as a large group of us sought solace in alcohol and the replies were varied as to why we continue with our support.

Some said they like the drinking and the banter others liked to get away from shopping with the other half and a couple said it broke the weekend up. When I replied I carry on going not because I like watching poor football in a very poor league I go simply because I still love my Football club.

With the month on 'Movember' here it seems like it is time to take a look at the hairiest yet one of the most successful teams Coventry City teams we have produced. In the 1977-78 season we finished 7th just missing out on a place in Europe.

In the seventies where facial hair was a trend, Coventry City took it to another level that even out 'mo ed' the mighty Liverpool of McDermott and Souness. Coventry City could have fielded a team that wouldn't have looked out of place in a spaghetti western.

In goal was Jim Blyth owner of a reasonable 'mo' at fullback was Harry Roberts, Graham Oakey and Bobby MacDonald who all owned one. At centre half was Jim Holton and his legendary moustache alongside Alan Dugdale who sported a 'Merv Hughes' style mo.

In midfield there were more legends with Tommy Hutchinson, Barry Powell and Terry Yorath who was signed from Leeds as a player rather than for his handle bar moustache. Don Nardiello moved up to the first from the reserves and seemed obliged to grow one to fit in.

Up front they went for even more facial hair with Mick Ferguson and Alan Green supporting beards.

Even some of the emerging players joined in such as Andy Blair and Paul Dyson.

Some players did manage to resist the lure of the mo such as Ian Wallace, Mick Coop, Keith Osgood and Garry Thompson. John Beck always seemed to be trying to grow a beard but not quite succeeding.

If we could add two or three of the 'hairy' bunch to the current squad then a return to the Championship would certainly be on the cards.

WHEN I read the news in the Telegraph this morning that David McGoldrick wants to stay here at Coventry it really perked me up no end as all the talk lately looked negative really and I thought here we go again another Marlon King fiasco.

But if he really does love it here and there's no suggestion he doesn't then it would be fantastic for all us City fans to see him stay here till at least the end of the season.

He resembles King in build and style of play I reckon but without any off the field antics that Marlon carries around him wherever he goes and David certainly knows where the net is so we really do need him to stay with us because without him we could suffer badly.