September 2012 Archives

THE confidence of some of the City players is so fragile that a hammering at the Emirates in the League Cup on Wednesday could knock them for six I reckon. You only have to go to a game at the Ricoh or away from home this season to see a lot of the team are unsure about themselves or what they are supposed to be doing.

If Arsenal take this competition seriously and what I've read and heard they are as they want to win a Cup this season then the Sky Blues will have to be up for it as well as any defeat at the moment is one too many because they need a win as soon as they can.

This competition is a bit of a nuisance because all we want at the moment is to start winning some League games and fast but a tanking is the last thing they want isn't it ?

BACK in the early sixties an awful defeat to non league Kings Lynn ushered in a new manager Jimmy Hill who energised the club and made history

The 4-1 defeat at Shrewsbury which dropped us to second bottom of the third division created similar despair. But from that disasterous low point another new face is in the Management chair

Like Jimmy, Mark Robins begins at the foot of the Third Division if he can create half of the success of that era he will be a fans hero

G T

Shaw, Ince or Robins?

By G T on Sep 17, 12 08:04 PM in Fans

SO, its come down to just three: Richard Shaw, Paul Ince or Mark Robbins?
Who would you go for out of these three, is a really difficult question and one that most Sky Blues fans would have difficulty answering. It is going to be a tough job for whoever gets the job, but are these three really the best available managers of the 70 odd who applied for the job?

Let's have a look at the facts to see if we can make any rhyme or reason out of the selection process:

Richard Shaw:

A lovely bloke and former Sky Blues Stalwart who spent 10 years at the club prior to being moved on. But whose managerial career to date has hardly been inspiring. He has kept exactly the same line up as his predecessor Andy Thorn and has not won any of the league games he has taken in charge of.

Paul Ince:

Paul Ince is the former Manager of Blackburn Rovers, MK Dons, Macclesfield Town and most recently Nott's County, with whom he left by mutual consent in April 2011 after losing nine games in a row.

Mark Robbins:

Robins began his managerial career at Rotherham United after a stint as assistant manager at the club. Taking the role permanently in April 2007 he managed to lift them off the bottom of the table but was unable to save them from relegation down to League Two. In his first full season in charge he guided them to a 9th place finish, which was followed by 14th. Both were impressive considering that the club were deducted 10 points and 17 points respectively.

Robins moved to Championship side Barnsley in September 2009. The club had a disappointing season finishing 18th in the table. They followed this up with a 17th place finish in 2010/11, with Robins resigning at the end of the season due to financial disputes with the board.

The Stat's hardly set the heart - rate pumping do they?

Are they really the best candidates available, or the easiest to manipulate?

Will they really get the good times back, along with the 20,000 missing fans?

Can they turn a drastically under-performing team around?

Or:

Are they just the ones who agreed to follow the plan?

Lets hope, for all our sake's that whoever gets the job can work a miracle and get the undoubted talent to play, and turn them into a real force in the league!

Time will tell...................

SO we will find out this week who the new manager will be at Coventry City and it looks like a Three way split between Shaw,Ince, and Robins,if what we read in the paper is true.

Out of those three I would go for Paul Ince myself as we need someone who can add some toughness into the players and he had plenty of that as a player didn't he ?

I'm a bit surprised Richard Shaw is still in the mix as things haven't gone that well since he took over especially given what happened again at Tranmere on Saturday when his side went all soft again in the last Ten minutes of the match.

THE Sky Blues were very poor against Stevenage yesterday and I agree with G.T. the pairing of Shaw and Carsley doesn't look to be our answer even though they haven't had long in charge.

Sometimes you just get the feeling when something isn't right and it's alright players keep saying we want Shaw to get the job full time but then they go and turn in a dire performance.

No the City needs an experienced manager to come in and try and get the best out of this squad and get them to add some steel and determination to their play as they just aren't tough enough for this league they are now in.

THE Sky Blues were very poor against Stevenage yesterday and I agree with G.T. the pairing of Shaw and Carsley doesn't look to be our answer even though they haven't had long in charge.

Sometimes you just get the feeling when something isn't right and it's alright players keep saying we want Shaw to get the job full time but then they go and turn in a dire performance.

No the City needs an experienced manager to come in and try and get the best out of this squad and get them to add some steel and determination to their play as they just aren't tough enough for this league they are now in.

G T

New Manager a "SHAW" thing?

By G T on Sep 10, 12 08:06 AM in Fans

9 potential managers are being interviewed this week, for the role of new Sky Blues boss, with current incumbent: Richard Shaw apparently being one of them? The question on most fans lips must be: what have you bought to the party Shawsy? The performance against Stevenage was shocking, a total lack of spirit and commitment from the players and a seeming lack of tactical know-how from the management. It was plain for all to see what Stevenage tactics were, sit back in numbers and hit them on the counter attack at pace. They allowed the Sky Blues as much possession as they wanted around the half way line, knowing that the full back was our only outlet, and obviously assessing that their crossing would cause them no problems whatsoever and how right they were?

This result is a new low for Coventry City, if anything, down to the shocking lack of effort from the men in Sky Blue. There is something wrong within the camp, whether it has anything to do with the cut in bonuses, only time will tell, but that level of performance is totally unacceptable. Shaw and Carsley have made little, if any, difference to the style of play from that deployed by Thorn, with the "Diamond Formation" being their choice too. But it is too easy to defend against. Teams just allow Jennings to pick up the ball from the back four, then close the strikers and midfielders down, meaning our only "Out Ball" is either a hoof to the forwards, or a short pass to the full backs!

Stevenage did just that, sat deep and waited, as time and again we tried to get the full backs into advanced positions, they then flooded the midfield to win the ball back, and hit us on the counter attack. It is not rocket science to see what tactics they had deployed, but Shaw did nothing to alter our style until we were 2 - 1 down. By which time Stevenage had shut up shop. They dealt with everything we threw at them and walked away with the 3 points. They would have been happy with a point, but absolutley delighted to take all three.

Questions that need to be asked are:

Were they better than us man for man?

Were their players more gifted than ours?

Are Stevenage players more gifted footballers than those in Sky Blues shirts?

Or:

Were they just better organised?

GT Player Ratings:

5: ..... ..... Murphy

5: ..... ..... Clarke

3: ..... ..... Hussey

6: ..... ..... Wood

5: ..... ..... Edjenguele

4: ..... ..... Baker

2: ..... ..... Barton

5: ..... ..... Jennings

3: ..... ..... Kilbane

7: ..... ..... McGoldrick

5: ..... ..... Elliot

Another week of up and downs at the City and lots of comments on the CET website about why we are so inconsistent and who would be the best manager for an under achieving side.

Personally I think there have been a lot good points made by the fans and by caretaker boss Richard Shaw across the week. Regardless of whether you think he has what it takes to be the manager he does seem to talk sense. As he pointed out it's not the system the player play that causes the problem it is the players. They either do not follow the manager's instructions or switch off at vital moments.

Concentration is also important but that comes with professionalism and fitness. Your more likely to switch off or make mistakes when you are tired.

Another poignant comment was about the fact the players want 'Shawsy' to be the new boss. As one commenter pointed out, can you imagine Wayne Rooney calling Sir Alex Ferguson 'Fergie' in a press interview?

For me it shows a total lack of respect for the manager. The manager is the boss not one of the lads and maybe that is one area where Thorn struggled and an internal appointment might also.

If the players really wanted 'Shawsy' to be the boss, then they would have performed on Saturday. The manager citing 'tiredness' is not acceptable as in this division playing two games a week is the norm not the exception.

Have we not heard the players also stating, again, that it was their fault that the manager was sacked? It is a shame that the manager can't sack some of the players.

So for me the manager needs to be an outside appointment. Some one who will shake things up a bit and not accept the inconsistency that has become the norm over the past number of seasons.

AFTER a great performance against Birmingham City in the Capital One Cup we were brought back down to earth again at Crewe on Saturday.

Then again the Sky Blues were good in the first half at home to Bury the previous Saturday but ended up holding on to the draw proving that the City are so Jekyll and Hyde as one game we look decent the next we're not.

We are without doubt a very strange football club so it's not a new manager we need but a top shrink to fathom us out !