May 2012 Archives

G T

European Championship 2012

By G T on May 30, 12 05:47 PM in Fans

WITH the situation at CCFC seeming like a crazy merry-go-round and no sign of any immediate finish to the current malaise in sight; it is with interest that we can look forward to the forthcoming European Championships in Poland & Ukraine.

Roy Hodgson was a strange choice for many, with the seemingly far more talented Harry Rednapp overlooked for the poison chalice. I don't suppose there was much option but to go for a "safe pair of hands" following Fabio's reign ending pretty abruptly. The FA have looked all over Europe, in a vain attempt to get the best from the "Golden Era" of England players, with little success, at least in the critic's view. I think Capello was doing an OK job, and had plans for a future full of bright young things, with a team based around Rooney and Jack Wilshire. I'm not sure Hodgson will be so adventurous?

With Gareth Barry being rules out by injury, it speaks volumes for the new manager's mindset, that he picks another defender to fill the void, leaving England woefully short of midfield talent. There were calls for Michael Carrick to get a call up, with his original omission understandable, but now Barry is out, the balance of the squad would have been far better equipped, with Carrick in the squad. Ball retention against Norway was shocking, so a decent passer of the ball would have been most welcome, but no, Hodgson picks Jagielka!

I am not suggesting that Hodgson will be a failure for England, but the signs are that he is a bit too conservative in his thinking, which probably explains why he got the job in the first place?

Let's hope the lack of expectation helps the national side have a great tournament, but there is a lack of expectation because the bookies know there stuff. The only problem is: The Sky Blues were favourites to be relegated, and didn't let the bookies down..................

PM1707927@LS011011barn-77.jpg

Coventry City: Bidding war hotting up for Richard Keogh

COVENTRY City are continuing to rebuff advances for in-demand defender Richard Keogh who has been the subject of two formal bids and two other inquiries from Championship clubs so far this summer.

Coventry City away day guide to League One in 2012-13

COVENTRY City were last in the third tier of English football - or Division Three as we called it in those endearingly straightforward days - in the 1963/64 season when a final-day win against Colchester saw Jimmy Hill's newly-garbed Sky Blues clinch the title on goal difference.

* For more Coventry City news and gossip click here

PM1659441@dj100911city_22.j.jpg

Newcastle United move is too soon for Gael Bigirimana, says Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn is hoping to keep hold of Gael Bigirimana after Coventry City received an approach from Newcastle United for the exciting young midfielder.

Cardiff City monitoring Coventry City's Richard Keogh

CARDIFF CITY are keeping tabs on Coventry City centre-back Richard Keogh, it has emerged.

Coventry City is one big soap opera at present where confusion and rumours reigns...sadly.

Last week's instalments included SISUs continuing negotiations with The Alan Higgs Charity and the Council over the stadium. An ultimatum from the Council to SISU requesting proof that they have the funds in place to finance such a deal.

Questions over SISU structure and links to a Cayman Island Holding Company along with constant rumours of administration.

A 'possible' takeover linked to a Chinese company.

The transfer embargo is still in place, no budget agreed for next season, players leaving, the Chief Executive and Development Director issuing contradictory statements over the clubs ambitions for next season.

Also we had ousted Director and Life Presidents being invited back for talks about resuming their roles at the club.

There are enough stories here in one week that any club wouldn't expect to make in a season.

Is it any wonder that an average centre forward preferred a Second Division side over the Club?

To the average fan looking it is a complete and utter mess where confusion and rumour reign.

SISUs repeated promises of transparency, honesty and better communications with the fans is once again in tatters.

PM1020578@DJ180910CITY_37.jpg

Coventry City eager to tie up Clive Platt deal

COVENTRY City are waiting to hear if veteran striker Clive Platt wants to extend his stay at the Ricoh Arena.

Fears grow over Coventry City going bust as Cayman Islands link revealed

FEARS that Coventry City could be close to going bust are growing - following a Telegraph investigation into owner Sisu's offshore business dealings in the Cayman Islands.

FELLOW blogger TJL says were the Sky Blues doomed from the start ?
He was referring to the bookmakers prediction that the City would get relegated and they got it spot on.

It will be interesting to see what they think the Sky Blues chances are in the up and coming season? Will they make us favourites to get straight back up or will they play it safe and reckon we may struggle ?

But until we get the transfer embargo lifted and keep hold of our better players I wouldn't be surprised to see us favourites to drop even further down the table.

PM1707927@LS011011barn-77.jpg

Coventry City reject Bristol City's 'derisory' bid for Richard Keogh

COVENTRY City have rejected a 'derisory' offer from Bristol City for centre-half Richard Keogh - but the Robins' official approach could spark a full-scale bidding war for the Sky Blues' prime asset.

James McPake set for crunch talks over his Coventry City future

JAMES McPAKE will meet Coventry City bosses for crunch talks over his future, it has been revealed.

BY NO MEANS am I a hardened gambler, but the fact that one of the few times I've been fortunate enough to be in a position to collect any winnings from the bookies this season (albeit a meagre handful of coins) came as a result of betting on a heavy defeat for the Sky Blues speaks volumes about our year.

The spanking in question came away at Ipswich back in September, but it was a visit to my local bookmakers two months previous that really sticks in my mind.

PM1707960@LS011011barn-93.jpg

Martin Cranie on verge of leaving Coventry City

IT'S looking increasingly likely that Martin Cranie will be leaving Coventry City this summer.

Paul Fletcher: How we struck the Ricoh Arena sponsorship deal

The Arena sponsorship agreement at Coventry was an interesting negotiation. We had managed to keep the naming opportunity 'clean' during the first six months of construction by simply referring to the building as 'The Arena' making it easy to later drop-in a sponsor's name.

BP2642211@.jpg

Ricoh Arena deal should have made Coventry City great, says Paul Fletcher

The Ricoh Arena appears to be an attractive and efficient building and a great success story. But is it?

Ricoh Arena shares should be sold to Coventry City "at fair price" says Paul Fletcher

EX-SKY Blues chief Paul Fletcher has urged Coventry City Council and the Higgs Charity to sell their shares in the Ricoh Arena back to the Sky Blues for a "fair and equitable price".