April 2012 Archives

THE Sky Blue Army did themselves and the club proud in the final game of our rotten and miserable campaign at Southampton on Saturday.

They went there determined to enjoy the day which deserves a medal for gallantry and courage in itself as deep down all us City fans are hurting but are hiding it as best as we can.

Last season we gate crashed Norwich's party celebrations and here we are again turning up at Southampton's place and looking on at their fans running on the pitch in mass excitement while we stare on thinking I wonder what that feels like ?

PM2082638@DJ170412CITY_11.jpg

Andy Thorn: Coventry City need to follow Southampton's example

ANDY Thorn says that Coventry City have got to follow the Southampton example if they are to reverse the decline at the Ricoh Arena.

Southampton 4 Coventry City 0 - Andy Turner's verdict

IF EVER there was a clear case of wondering what might have been it was Coventry City's final farewell to Championship football.

AFTER relegation to Division 3, you can call it League One if you like, but it is the third tier of English Football. The turmoil at the Ricoh looks set to continue.

With the transfer embargo still in place, no budget agreed by the owner's, next season looks like another battle for survival.

Last season was horrible in so many ways.

At the end of the season there was a morbid sense of relief that we were relegated. We knew from the start of the season we were in trouble. It is a credit to the players and staff that we managed to drag it out until the penultimate game of the season.

Sixteen points from the first half of the season and 24 four in the second half with Norwood and Nimley on board. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to workout that with these two quality additions to the squad earlier in the season, plus Juke we might just have avoided the drop.

The next few months will however shape our season, just like last year.

If SISU come up with a decent budget we have a chance. The signs are not looking promising though as the budget seems to be on par with last season and our income will be substantially lower.

The £1.2 Million annual rent and the fair play rules will hit us harder than most clubs.

The Hoffman bid is still in the background though.

I know Gary Hoffman is a City fan but logically there are better clubs around for his backers to buy. Yes the Ricoh is an attraction but you only have an option to buy half of it.

So like all the fans, I will be watching the CET for updates on all the stories and rumours that will surface during the close season.

Lets hope we have some good news for a change.

PM2082638@DJ170412CITY_11.jpg

Coventry City will bow out of Championship fighting, pledges Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn insists his young Coventry City charges will go out of the Championship fighting when they take on promotion-chasing Southampton live on television on Saturday.

Gary McSheffrey: Coventry City need six to eight new signings

ALTHOUGH he was clutching his Coventry City top-scorer's trophy, Gary McSheffrey cut a miserable figure outside the Ricoh dressing rooms on Saturday evening.

BP1116849@.jpg

I want to help save Coventry City, says Bryan Richardson

FORMER Coventry City chairman Bryan Richardson has made an extraordinary offer to help Sisu revive the club's fortunes.

Jordan Willis set for first Coventry City start against Southampton

COV kid Jordan Willis is set to make his first Coventry City start on Saturday facing a challenge that would test the character of the most experienced of defenders.

G T

Out of the Frying Pan?

By G T on Apr 25, 12 01:31 PM in

THE decision by the football league to bring in its own version of financial fair play rules, although commendable, will surely only place another nail in the coffin that is currently CCFC? The new rules state that: any club that records losses of over £6m will receive a transfer embargo or a fine that could run into millions of pounds!

The changes also prevent owners from funding their clubs through loans, Football League chairman Greg Clarke stated: "They will begin to lay the foundations for a league of financially self-sustaining football clubs."

The new rules go on to say: Non-promoted clubs will not be punished financially for failing to adhere to the new rules, but instead placed under a transfer embargo. So where does all this leave us?

The real matter of concern though is the following statement: Leagues 1 and 2 will continue to limit spending on wages to a proportion of turnover.

We are currently losing money hand over fist, (no one knows the true extent of our losses, thanks to SISU no providing accounts) and we are paying approx £1.3m for the stadium every season (at least we should be paying that amount). Which leaves us dangling pretty precariously on the precipice of disaster and Liquidation on the cards?

So how are we realistically going to survive next season, when our wage bill will be limited to a proportion of turnover? We had very little turnover in the Championship, (take away the cost of the stadium rental) and this will drop, as a proportion, in League 1. So where do we go from here? How about building another stand at the Butts arena and sharing that ground? Remember how all the Sky Blues fans moaned about that when the rugby club wanted to share their brand new stadium, the tables could be about to turn....................

Anyone know the way to Nuneaton????????????

PM1735760@DJ151011CITY_10.jpg

Coventry City had 'square pegs in round holes', admits John Clarke

COVENTRY CITY'S vice chairman John Clarke has shouldered his share of the blame for Coventry City's slump into League One.

Sisu draft in ex-FA director to turn Coventry City around

COVENTRY City owners Sisu have recruited the services of former Vancouver Whitecaps chief executive officer Paul Barber.

PM1319525@LS190311city-12.jpg

Gary Hoffman investors bide their time after Coventry City relegation

GARY Hoffman says he's still working on plans to take over Coventry City but the former vice-chairman admitted that he fears for the club's survival after relegation to League One.

Richard Keogh enjoys Coventry City season awards clean sweep

RICHARD Keogh was a picture of misery on Saturday afternoon after he collected a red card as Coventry City slipped out of the Championship.

PM2090610@DJ210412CITY_9.jpg

Coventry City: Andy Thorn and players devastated by relegation

COVENTRY City were put out of their misery on Saturday when a 2-0 defeat against Doncaster Rovers signalled their relegation to League One.

Coventry City 0 Doncaster 2 - Andy Turner's verdict

THOSE never-say-die souls still clinging on to the impossible dream were quickly dragged back into the real world when news filtered through that Bristol had taken an 11th-minute lead at Ashton Gate.

SO the inevitable happened and the City got relegated to League One but what a way to go down with no real fight or passion which left us fans feeling short changed again as if we haven't been ripped off enough financially and mentally this season and a lot more too.

When we hit the post and Macca missed an easy chance the fans started singing "That's why we're going down." In other words the lack of goals and poor finishing are a big part as to why we are down.

But Andy Thorn has tried his best considering what he has had to put up with and that's why the majority of City fans haven't given him vitriol and he remains a popular manager.