March 2012 Archives

G T

1987 and all that!

By G T on Mar 30, 12 09:54 AM in Fans

SO, the 25 years anniversary of our famous cup victory is coming up, with a gathering taking place at the Nailcote Hall Hotel on Friday 20th April, with a small amount of tickets still available.

It promises to be a great night, with all the players and staff from that memorable weekend attending the event, as well as the Doncaster fixture the following day at the Ricoh Arena. There will be a chance to get old programmes signed and the FA Cup will also be there, so a chance to get a photo with the famous trophy will be worth the entrance fee.

It still doesn't seem like 25 years to me, when me and a group of my mates all bought season tickets, prior to the quarter finals, as we all knew something special was afoot that year. There was a feeling throughout the City that something was going to happen and so it proved. We also sang a song that day "We're gonna score in a minute" which I have never heard before or since. It was as if it was meant to be, we written that it was going to be our day.

No doubt everyone have their own memories of that day, or weekend with the open top bus tour through the City on Sunday, and there are many stories I can remember from our weekend in London, most of which are logged and seem to come back every April, on cup final day.

If you want to recall your own memories, or just want to get a chance to meet the lads again, then give the hotel a call on: 024 7646 6174 and get yourself down there, tickets are priced at £75 each, with all proceeds going to the players.

PM1802762@DJ191111CITY_26.jpg

Chris Hussey playing through pain barrier for Coventry City

CHRIS Hussey is determined to play his part in the last seven critical games of Coventry City's season despite requiring surgery to his left ankle.

Coventry City hitting form at right time, says Gary McSheffrey

GARY McSheffrey believes the momentum is all with Coventry City in their quest to beat the drop.

PM1933610@.jpg

Coventry City United! Real belief we can stay up, says Oliver Norwood

THE Premier League title race may be hotting up with a tit-for-tat war of words between Manchesters City and United but the Coventry City loan stars from the top-flight heavyweights insist the fierce rivalry has barely been mentioned at Ryton.

Terry Yorath backing Coventry City to avoid the drop

COVENTRY CITY legend Terry Yorath is backing the Sky Blues to stay up after seeing them in action on his first visit to the Ricoh Arena.

THE Sun was shining on Saturday at the Ricoh Arena and as it was Legends Day as well you could sense it was going to be a good day for us fans too.

And although they took a while to settle down the team eventually got a grip on the game and scored two cracking goals and they were worthy winners in the end I thought.

Portsmouth manfully gave it their best shot and their fans were as usual very vocal and they do get behind their team but then again our singers corner were on form as well and the atmosphere was good.

But I felt there was more than Fifteen thousand in the ground so where they got that attendance from baffles me as it looked a lot more than that,but the main thing was the result and the three points.

G T

Sky Blues Survival?

By G T on Mar 24, 12 08:26 AM in Fans

COVENTRY City face a massive game today against bottom of the table Portsmouth, with the proverbial 6 pointer guaranteed to prove a marker towards Championship safety for one of the teams.

There is every reason to be optimistic, with the Sky Blues unbeaten in our last 4 games, following a spirited fight-back against Cardiff in midweek, and having only lost 2 home league games since Christmas day, a run which shows: 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats (both by the odd goal), our home form will be significant if we are to avoid the dreaded drop.

Our recent form against Pompey has been pretty decent, with the defeat in December being our only set back in the last 5 matches, with City winning 3 and drawing 1. The form of the visitors has been pretty dire of late, with the victory over 10 man Blues last week being their first league win since January.

With only 8 games left of the season, our home form could be the difference, with winnable games against Pompey, Peterborough, Millwall and Doncaster to come added to our continued resilience away from home, we could be facing another run in the Championship, fingers crossed.

For those that didn't know, the 1987 squad are getting together for an evening of reminiscence and anecdotes and fun on Friday 20th April at the Nailcote Hall Hotel (which is a sell out). But they are all coming to the Doncaster game on Saturday 21st at the Ricoh Arena! ! !

PM1707960@LS011011barn-93.jpg

Martin Cranie: Coventry City's fate will help decide whether I stay

MARTIN Cranie admits that Coventry City's end-of-season fate will have a 'major bearing' on his decision whether or not to stay at the club.

Coventry City face keeping Ben Turner quiet - at both ends of pitch

IT WILL be a battle of the heavyweights in Cardiff tonight where Coventry City have to get past the man who snuffed Luis Suarez out of the Carling Cup Final - Ben Turner.

PM2004542@DJ100312CITY_18.jpg

Coventry City: Saving Sky Blues from relegation would be my finest hour, says Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn insists that if he steers Coventry City to safety it will be the finest hour of his football career.

Coventry City: Nathan Cameron goal SHOULD have been allowed admits referees' chief

ANDY Thorn has received an apology from referees' chief David Allison who admits Saturday's match official at Watford was wrong to disallow Nathan Cameron's first-half goal.

PM2020720@TE170312WATF-24.jpg

Coventry City: Andy Thorn fuming over Nathan Cameron disallowed goal

ANDY Thorn returned from Watford bitterly disappointed at the result but convinced that the performance offers a blueprint for Coventry City's Championship survival.

Watford 0 Coventry City 0 - Andy Turner's verdict

AFTER a match which both the Coventry City and Watford managers agreed was the very epitome of a hard-earned draw there was inevitably more scope than usual for what might have beens.

PM1996387@-DJ060312CITY_24.jpg

Coventry City must grab elusive away win, says Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn's Coventry City players travel to Watford looking for their elusive first away win of the season to give the club a platform to tackle what he describes as the biggest four games of their careers.

Oliver Norwood: I care about Coventry City

A CRITICISM often levelled when managers go down the loan market route is that players are just passing through, using the temporary stint as a means to an end to get them back in the picture at their parent club.

PM2004542@DJ100312CITY_18.jpg

Coventry City bruised but unbowed, says Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn says he's got to wrap his players up in cotton wool to protect his threadbare Coventry City squad from going down with any more injuries.

Andy Turner: Coventry City just can't catch a break

IT never rains but it pours for Coventry City these days.