February 2012 Archives

PM1766861@LS291011don-100.jpg

Coventry City striker Cody McDonald in new injury setback

COVENTRY CITY striker Cody McDonald has suffered a setback in his bid to return to full fitness after turning his ankle in training.

Jordan Clarke wins praise for Gary McSheffrey impression

ANDY THORN hailed Coventry City defender Jordan Clarke's impact since his return from long-term injury

THEY left it late against boring Barnsley but three points is what was needed on Saturday so we can't complain too much about the team huffing and puffing their way to that target.

Barnsley were a very poor outfit and if someone had come to watch the two teams for the very first time they would surely have said we were the mid table side and Barnsley were the side at the bottom of the division.

But once again it just shows what a strange league the Championship is as other than say the top three or four clubs there's not much between the rest I reckon,and all it takes is a club to win a few games on the trot and they can move well away from the nether regions.

PM1389837@LS300411city-16.jpg

David Bell: Carl Baker will come good for Coventry City

DAVID Bell is backing Coventry City wing rival Carl Baker to bounce back after his barracking from the stands.

Ben Turner has Premier League quality, says Coventry City academy boss

FORMER Coventry City defender Ben Turner is being tipped for the top after a magnificent powerhouse display for Cardiff in the Carling Cup final.

PM1953937@DJ140212CITY_43.jpg

Barnsley win was "massive", insisted Coventry City boss Andy Thorn

ANDY Thorn hailed Saturday's dramatic victory against Barnsley as a "massive" result in Coventry City's battle to retain their Championship place.

Coventry City 1 Barnsley 0 - Andy Turner's verdict

WE'VE all been taught about the value of patience, but that's a singularly hard virtue to maintain when everything about your situation screams panic.

Saturday's performance was woeful but we won. That is something that we have not been able to say for a while.

Another stoppage time winner, when it has usually been the other way made it even sweeter.

The football at times was abysmal with neither side able to string any real moves together. Barnsley never even managed a corner all game and had only one real shot all game.

Considering the importance of the game we started flat and at times it even had the feeling of a pre-season game. Whether nerves got to the players, I don't know.

City finally upped the tempo with about 15 minutes to go and looked the only winners.

So credit to the players for managing to keep going to the end.

Carl Baker got stick from certain sections of the fans. But quite frankly he was awful.

I don't agree with booing him but I understand why some fans did. He looked lost at times, his touch was heavy and he struggled to even do the basics. It was a big surprise when he reappeared at half time especially considering the options on the bench.

AT was watching the same game as us so why he left him for so long is beyond me and poor man management. We had options on the bench so why not use them earlier as it was clear Baker was struggling from the start?

PM1766861@LS291011don-100.jpg

Cody McDonald eyes a grandstand finish from Coventry City

CODY McDonald is the first to admit that his Coventry City career hasn't gone precisely according to plan.

Coventry City still looking for loans, insists Tim Fisher

COVENTRY City insist they are still looking for players to sign during the emergency loan window after being knocked back in attempts to bring in more forwards.

PM1864510@LS291211cov-03.jpg

Andy Thorn facing Coventry City midfield selection headache

ANDY Thorn admits he faces a selection headache of the more welcome variety this weekend - with plenty of competition for Coventry City's midfield places.

Andy Turner: It's Coventry City for life, son

I AM often asked if I'm a City fan. The answer is yes, boy and man, since my dad stood me on a stool in the old Spion Kop at Highfield Road to watch the likes of Mick Coop, Tommy Hutchison, Mick Ferguson and Ian Wallace in their pomp.

PM1766861@LS291011don-100.jpg

Cody McDonald returns with no sign of loan striker at Coventry City

ANDY Thorn is hoping to welcome forgotten man Cody McDonald back to his matchday squad this weekend as there remains no sign of a loan striker at Coventry City.

George Boateng: Steve Harrison key to Coventry City staying up

FORMER Coventry City favourite George Boateng is backing the Sky Blues to beat the drop.

PM1864510@LS291211cov-03.jpg

Coventry City doing the right things, Sir Alex Ferguson tells Andy Thorn

COVENTRY CITY boss Andy Thorn has been heartened by an encouraging chat with the great managerial master himself, Sir Alex Ferguson.

Carl Baker baffled by Coventry City away woes

CARL Baker admits he's baffled by Coventry City's away day blues but remains determined to ensure that the team's travelling form does not consign them to League One football next season.

Saturday's loss was a hard blow and summed up our season.

Having beaten Leeds, we yet again failed to turn our chances and possession into goals and record back to back victories for only the second time this season. To add insult to injury, both Forest goals were yet again stoppable.

Again he was at a loss to explain why we keep conceding late stoppable goals when we consistently work on this in training. Add this to his constant bemoaning of bad luck and the teams consist inability to play a game for ninety minutes (except Leeds), something is wrong.

At present we just seem to be drifting along towards relegation.

It sadly seems to me he has run out of ideas with the current squad. .

We are all aware of the limitations of the current squad, even the players have stated that we need more players.

So maybe we have one last chance to save ourselves from relegation but as usual it requires SISU to act and act now.

SISU have to either back him, by allowing him to bring in a couple of much needed quality loans. The kind we were promised once the loan window opened nearly two weeks ago?

Or sack him and allow a new manager a chance to get some points on the board.