October 2011 Archives

THEY say lightning never strikes twice, so with today's announcement from club captain Sammy Clingan expressing his desire to extend his stay at The Ricoh Arena one can only hope he won't "do a Marlon" and scarper just when his new contract appears to be falling into place.

Let us not get ahead of ourselves, by no means is anything set in stone, but with Clingan seemingly well settled in the area and his name rightfully written on the team sheet in the most permanent of markers, you have to say that we can afford ourselves a nice dose of optimism regarding his future.

PM1700888@LS250911pool-77.jpg

Doncaster draw was two points dropped, says Andy Thorn

COVENTRY CITY boss Andy Thorn bemoaned two points dropped after sharing the spoils with fellow strugglers Rovers in a 1-1 draw at the Keepmoat Stadium.

I want to stay at Coventry City, says Sammy Clingan

SAMMY Clingan has given Coventry City a timely morale boost by revealing that he would be delighted to stay at the Ricoh Arena.

PM1700888@LS250911pool-77.jpg

Andy Thorn gets tough on Coventry City's fledgling stars

ANDY Thorn is taking a firm but fair approach to Coventry City's fledgling stars to ensure they make the most of their ability.

Carl Baker's regular starter hopes take a knock

CARL Baker's pre-season pledge to establish himself as a regular starter for Coventry City hasn't exactly gone according to plan.

HAVING not blogged for a little while it can be difficult to sum up your thoughts about events at Coventry City these days as things are constantly happening

On the field following an encouraging performance against Nottingham Forest and a strong away draw at Leeds, we were all brought down to earth by the Burnley result.Following the latest of many late surrenders as West End Boy said questions were being asked about Andy Thorn

I know many City fans have the highest of respect for Thorn. I can see why,he seems like the sort of bloke you'd have a pint with. In a lot of his statements to the media he seems to come over like a fan

But its worth remembering that he is a novice at the trade of Football Manager

BP2423098@.jpg

Coventry City open talks over buying back at least half of Ricoh Arena

COVENTRY City have re-ignited their intention to buy back at least half of the Ricoh Arena but admit they need to get their "house in order" before being considered serious and responsible owners.

Fans' Zone: Sisu Out campaign derailed

THE Sisu Out campaign seems to have been derailed in recent weeks.

PM1186960@LS281210ccfc-60.jpg

Lee Carsley guides Coventry City reserves to win over Leicester

LEE Carsley got off to a winning start after guiding Coventry City's reserves to victory over Midland rivals Leicester.

Coventry City's Gael Bigirimana 'will come back stronger' after match ban

ANDY Thorn is confident Gael Bigirimana will bounce back from the disappointment of his first senior red card and three-match ban.

WHAT difference a game makes.

Heading into Saturday's match all looked rosy in Camp Sky Blue. The bitter and ultimately distracting dispute between owners and fans took a backseat as it often does when results take a turn for the better, resulting in an optimistic and somewhat upbeat atmosphere that has been notable by its absence from The Ricoh in recent weeks.

A spirit-lifting victory against a Nottingham Forest side who, although smothered by the blanket of backroom turmoil, remain a team full of quality players, provided a significant boost to confidence.

Add to that the joy of a last minute equaliser (a joy that is only bested by that which accompanies a last minute winner) and you've got a team who when faced with a side who've lost two on the bounce have to be looking at taking all of the spoils.

It's hard to put your finger on just what went wrong...

PM1679842@DJ190911CITY_13.jpg

Coventry City: Andy Thorn sees bright future for Cody McDonald

CODY McDonald is expected to recover from a knee injury in time for Saturday's trip to Doncaster where Coventry City boss Andy Thorn hopes he will pick up where he left off against Burnley.

Gary McSheffrey and Carl Baker return to Coventry City

COVENTRY City are boosted by the return of Gary McSheffrey and Carl Baker who were due to play against Leicester reserves today.

WENT to my first ever City match in 1961 with my late father and have been supporting the Sky Blues ever since so this season makes a half century of watching the club.

I was fortunate enough that Jimmy Hill came to our club just when my passion for the team was in it's infancy so to speak and we were then treated to his revolution and him putting Coventry City on the road to success.

But I really do feel sorry for those younger fans who aren't as lucky as I was at their age because they haven't had that winning feeling at all in fact they haven't anything to cheer about ever.

WITH only a handful of points and two wins from thirteen games, you would think that there would be no end of calls for the manager's head, but not this season.

Sven got the boot today from Leicester for accumulating eight more points than us and being only two points off the play-offs. Doncaster and Bristol, both below City, have replaced their managers recently.

Ok a few of the fans will never like Thorn, that's life, but the majority are still behind him.

In the past few seasons new players added to the existing quality players we had, raised expectations probably way above where we realistically were. This season however most fans would settle now for just staying outside the bottom three.

The much documented lack of investment, lack of replacements or loan players has really lowered expectations.

I do however feel he is vulnerable not from the fans, who understand his situation but from the board.

We already know they don't understand football or the fans. How long before they blame the manager for the clubs predicament?

If we are still floating around the bottom four at Christmas, I could see them sacking him and blaming him for the lack of results. An easy and convenient way to paper over their short comings!