July 2011 Archives

This has been the gloomiest pre-season I can remember. Gone is the usual blind optimism that bubbles from the lips of even the most hardened Sky Blues fans. In its place, a stoic mumbling of some promising youth team lads.

Why is there an impending sense of doom that sits just below the surface of Andy Thorn's cheery review of the past few weeks? Thorn maybe pleased with his players, but his public-facing crowing masks one of the most problematic pre-seasons since we ended up in this league.

The most revealing symptom is that City haven't signed any players (goalkeepers don't count, they're boring - I bought a sandwich yesterday, I haven't told anyone about it), despite losing three of their best since last season.

G T

Norwich Player Ratings!

By G T on Jul 31, 11 04:39 PM in Fans

Murphy.......... 6
Christie.......... 6
Cranie............8
Keogh............7
Hussey...........7
Baker.............4
Clingan..........7
Bigirimana.....9
McSheffrey....5
Jutkiewicz......5
Eastwood......3

7 good players, tight defence, nothing up front............................

75% possesion, 1 shot on goal......................

G T

Coventry Sign Bent!

By G T on Jul 29, 11 12:38 PM in Fans

The sign outside Coventry Station has been hit by a passing truck and is badly bent!

At least the headline grabbed your attention! (even though you new it wasn't for real)

With the coming's and going's at the Ricoh (well Going's anyway) seemingly a little quiet at the moment, what sort of mindset do the players and manager have at present. I'm sure Andy Thorn will have made known his targets, to at least replace Gunnar & Marlon in squad numbers if not talent, it must be a frustrating time to be Coventry Manager, although that is a given nowadays!

There can be no doubting the fact that money is tight, with money only heading in one direction at the moment and little likely-hood of an immediate change of fortunes, it can only be hoped that one or other of the "NEW" investors get the chance to flex their muscles soon.

We are arguably the biggest under - achievers in English football, with no top 6 finish in the last 40 years, so to have a possible 30,000 fans in waiting should be enough for someone to take a punt...............

Lets hope it is sooner rather than later...................

PM1344832@DJ020411CITY_56.jpg

Ken Dulieu: Andy Thorn appointment was "inspired decision"

CHAIRMAN Ken Dulieu is backing manager Andy Thorn to bring the good times back to Coventry City.

Coventry City need to buy half the Ricoh Arena, says Ken Dulieu

CHAIRMAN Ken Dulieu admits that Coventry City need to acquire a half-share of the Ricoh Arena to fund their long-term plans.

PM1257379@DJ120211CITY_31.jpg

Richard Wood hopes goals will earn Coventry City starting place

RICHARD Wood is hoping goals will prove the key to getting a more regular place in Coventry City's starting line up.

Sisu agree to fund Coventry City until end of the season

COVENTRY City's owners Sisu have agreed to fund the loss-making club until the end of next season.

THANK god for Friendlies. The hoary talk of potential takeovers and the cataclysmic fate that awaits us if SISU continue to hold the reins has been pushed aside, albeit temporarily, whilst we focus on our team's attempts to regain fitness and get some invaluable match practise before the curtain opener against the Foxes.

Although the results so far haven't been incredible, everything seems to be coming together nicely.

It's important not to focus on score-lines during the pre-season schedule, as most managers will tell you, especially those who've just seen their team thumped by an unknown Sunday League outfit.

PM1344832@DJ020411CITY_56.jpg

Andy Thorn: It's all coming together for Coventry City

COVENTRY City's pre-season preparation is bang on course says manager Andy Thorn.

Chesterfield 2 Coventry City 2 - Andy Turner's verdict

ALTHOUGH disappointed not to have won, the Sky Blues maintained their unbeaten record as Lukas Jutkiewicz finally opened his pre-season account.

PM975855@Coventry-City-v-De.jpg

Gary McSheffrey: Coventry City right on track for new season

GARY McSheffrey believes Coventry City are on course for the big kick-off and right behind the manager.

Transfer fee rules Coventry City out of Adam Le Fondre move

COVENTRY CITY have ruled out a move for Adam Le Fondre - because Rotherham United wanted a transfer fee for their star player.

WITH less than two weeks to go till the kick off to the new season begins I echo the comments of my fellow blogger West End Boy.

We have a smallish squad and with a few players being injury prone we will suffer I feel if we don't bring in some new faces,it's a long hard season in the Championship as we all know only too well and you do need a decent sized squad to get through it.

I am an admirer of Mcpake and Deegan but they pick up injuries all the time so even though they may say they want to get a full season under their belts you can't rely on them not breaking down again can you ?

PM1312498@DJ150311CITY_5.jpg

Andy Thorn desperate to keep small Coventry City injury free

ANDY Thorn admits his biggest concern ahead of the new season is keeping his relatively small Coventry City squad free from injury.

Kettering Town 0 Coventry City 1 - Andy Turner's verdict

A HALF-TIME blast from Andy Thorn sparked Coventry City into action after a disappointing start to their third pre-season run out.