May 2011 Archives

PM1344832@DJ020411CITY_56.jpg

Andy Thorn working on Coventry City's Plan B

ANDY Thorn has been lauded for his entertaining football philosophy, but the Coventry City manager is now working on a Plan B.

With the season finally finished and player's contracts finally running down, the transfer merry-go-round finally gets under way.

Out of contract players agents can 'officially' start hawking them around and playing one club off against another to get the best deal for them and their clients. I am not a fan of agents who take money out of game and do very little else.

Much has been said about our 'big three' out of contract players. For me the one to keep is King. Getting a replacement in of his calibre would cost big money, which I strongly suspect we haven't.

I, like nearly everybody else I talk to, thinks Westwood is a near certainty to leave.

Gunnar might be here next season though as I don't think there will be as much interest in him as the other two. His first season form was impressive but the last two seasons have seen his form dip.

Andy Thorn has wisely put a deadline date on the three to sign up. If they don't sign by then that is it, fair enough really. If we wait and wait and then they sign for another club, then we are left short going into the new season.

As Andy Thorn was the chief scout at the club for a number of years, I am sure he has a number of replacements in mind. With the embargo now lifted he is free to sign players again.

We should also remember he inherited the squad that Aidy Boothroyd assembled to play a certain style of football. This is not the way that Andy Thorn likes to play the game as we have seen, so you can expect some changes in personnel.

It will be interesting to see if we sell any players?

So over the next few weeks there will be a few comings and goings as Andy Thorn assembles his squad for next season.

PM1344832@DJ020411CITY_56.jpg

Andy Thorn frustrated as Coventry City kids stall over new deals

ANDY Thorn is urging Coventry City's up-and-coming talent to "wise up" and sign on the dotted line after some appear to be dragging their heels.

TJL

Let the games begin

By TJL on May 26, 11 11:32 PM in Fans

WITH the dust well and truly settled on another trademark Coventry City season, it makes sense for us to put to bed the trials and tribulations that we have once again lovingly endured and focus on what could be an exciting summer in terms of player recruitment.

The news that Westwood's departure looks to be (finally) nearing completion was about as surprising as Thursday's grim weather; we all knew it was coming.

Although I remain somewhat bitter about Westwood's decision to turn his back on the Sky Blues, especially considering the handsome contract that he has no-doubt been offered, I can't help but feel that the sooner he's out the door, the sooner we can begin rebuilding.

PM377809@88965043MR030_Cove.jpg

Coventry City plan Joe Murphy swoop with Keiren Westwood set to go

COVENTRY City are poised to swoop for Joe Murphy as Keiren Westwood edges closer to the exit door at the Ricoh Arena.

PM1344832@DJ020411CITY_56.jpg

Andy Thorn eyes Birmingham City derby after signing contract

ANDY Thorn put pen to paper on his new contract at Coventry City - and immediately set his sights on next season's derby with relegated Birmingham City.

Coventry City legend Jimmy Hill honoured by the LMA

COVENTRY City legend Jimmy Hill has been honoured by the League Managers' Association for services to football.

AS an onlooker on Sunday at the final day premier league games I got absorbed in it
and what high drama was served up,one minute one club was going down then the next
they weren't.

It just proves what we have all known for many years that football is the most exciting sport,
it can be cruel and pleasing all at the same time no wonder it's watched and played by so many.

But it made me just wish that the Sky Blues were involved in some exciting drama, but not fighting relegation but at least in the play offs.

PM1209024@JB150111city-06.jpg

Lukas Jutkiewicz wants to be Coventry City's top striker

COVENTRY City's Young Player of the Year Lukas Jutkiewicz is hoping to go one better next season by pushing for the senior honours on offer at the club.

PM1183458@LS261210ccfc-33.jpg

I'm no crock, says James McPake

JAMES McPake is determined to prove he is not injury prone by playing his first full season for Coventry City.

James McPake's Twitter stag do - organised by Coronation Street pyscho

CORONATION Street pyscho John Stape stepped in when Coventry City star James McPake missed his own stag weekend after being booked in for a delicate hospital procedure.

LISTENING in with interest to the end of the Premiership season on Sunday I finally got to learn which three teams would be making a trip to the Ricoh next season

All of them would rather be not coming at all but the matches will add to the experience of the season to come.

West Ham might be thought of as a strong opponent but it seems likely that many of their best players will be plundered by Premiership teams. In a sign of things to come they featured in the last game ex Coventry City loanees Freddie Sears and Zavon Hines