November 2010 Archives

I DON'T need to check out the weather reports on the telly to see what the temperature is going to be, because all I need to do is look at the football instead.

You can tell when it's turning a bit chilly because a lot of players take to the pitch wearing gloves, and now a thing called a Snood wrapped around their necks.

I'd love to know though who it was who started the craze of wearing gloves during a match, because he has a lot to answer for I reckon.

PM891324@DJ020710CITY_4.jpg

Scunthorpe United will be no pushovers, warns Aidy Boothroyd

AIDY Boothroyd has warned that Scunthorpe United will be no pushovers as he prepares his Coventry City side to face the club with the worst home record in the Championship.

Sky Blue Thinking: Coventry City old faces keep coming back

BARELY a week goes by these days without Coventry City coming up against a player who once wore the club's shirt, whether it be for an extended period or, more likely, a fleeting and often disappointing spell on loan.

PM555635@LS020110ccfc-15.jpg

Chris Hussey set for Crewe loan move

COVENTRY City defender Chris Hussey was today set to complete a loan move to League Two Crewe Alexandra.

Coventry City left-back puzzle for Aidy Boothroyd

AIDY Boothroyd admits he is still looking for a winning back four combination in his Coventry City team.

Saturday's game wasn't a classic but against a tough team we got a result. A result that last season we would have probably lost. This year with our new found resolution, work ethic and mentality, we ground out a victory.

With the back five solid, a workman like midfield chipping in with the odd goal. City don't look like conceding many but they also don't look like scoring many either.

King and Platt were paired together Saturday. On paper this should be a good combination. On the pitch it wasn't with King completely unable to strike up and understanding with Platt. When Jutkiewicz arrived it was obvious to see they worked better together.

With a fit Eastwood, we have five forwards vying for two positions. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few weeks. Boothroyd has gone out on a limb to get Marlon King and he has yet to score in eight appearances.

We can't keep playing him and watch him miss chances. Maybe one lucky goal is all he needs to get things going?

Maybe King will turnout to be an expensive waste of money or maybe once he get the first goal he will go on a scoring run. You can see he has the ability and touch but without the end product some of the other strikers offer more.

Jutkiewicz and Platt work well together but with Jutkiewicz only netting one goal from open play, his place is under threat. So maybe we will see Eastwood up front with Platt or even O'Donovan given a start while Boothroyd searches for that elusive combination.

PM1020578@DJ180910CITY_37.jpg

Clive Platt: I'm playing the best football of my career

COVENTRY City hero Clive Platt believes he's playing some of the best football of his career.

Michael Doyle is unsung hero for Coventry City, says Clive Platt

CLIVE Platt has hailed Michael Doyle as an unsung hero for Coventry City.

WE needed those three points on Saturday against Burnley, and although it wasn't pretty at times at least it brought an end to three losses prior to the game.

I knew though that the attendance would be low again and it looks like the average gate at the Ricoh is going to be under fifteen thousand this season.

Still we've all written enough now on this subject and we just have to accept that certain fans will only turn up for local derbies, cup games, and Leeds United.

PM891324@DJ020710CITY_4.jpg

Aidy Boothroyd hails Coventry City's revamped defence

AIDY Boothroyd has hailed the revamped defence that halted a sequence of three consecutive defeats and steered Coventry City to their morale-boosting 1-0 win against Burnley.

Coventry City 1 Burnley 0 - Andy Turner's verdict

MANAGERS veer towards the myopic when they analyse games and Brian Laws' take was that his Burnley side dominated proceedings at the Ricoh Arena before being robbed by Coventry's only shot on target.

PM1020578@DJ180910CITY_37.jpg

Clive Platt returns for Burnley FC clash

AIDY Boothroyd sees tomorrow's Ricoh Arena clash with Burnley as a crunch fixture in terms of shaping the way ahead.

Danny Fox: I'd love to return to Coventry City some day

DANNY FOX says he would love a permanent return to Coventry City one day after missing out on lining up against his old club with Burnley tomorrow.

PM796150@3931904.jpg

Coventry City must stop the rot, says Aidy Boothroyd

AIDY Boothroyd is preparing his Coventry City players for their "hardest" match of the season so far when they take on a Burnley side still adapting to life back in the Championship on Saturday.

Fans' Zone: Bubble bursts Coventry City's excellent start

Having been a Coventry City fan for more than 40 years I suppose I should have known better, and should have prepared myself for the disappointment of a catastrophic eight days.

PM377809@88965043MR030_Cove.jpg

Keiren Westwood hit with flu - but should be fit for Saturday

KEIREN Westwood has pulled out of the Republic of Ireland squad with flu but Coventry City boss Aidy Boothroyd hopes his number one goalkeeper recovers in time for Saturday.

Danny Ward set for Coventry City return

DANNY WARD is set to return to Coventry City after recovering from a hernia injury.