September 2010 Archives

AS Jimmy Greaves so rightly once said many years ago, that football is a funny old game,and watching the Sky Blues this season Greavsie was spot on with that statement.

Our performances have been erratic to say the least, starting matches poorly or just turning up in the second half, not really dominating any games so far this campaign.

I thought Doncaster played us off the park for long periods the other night,passing it around on the ground at speed while we settled for the long ball route too often I thought.

PM1031702@DJ250910CITY_12.jpg

Marlon King set for fitness test before Hull City trip

Marlon King faces a Friday morning fitness test to decide whether he can lead the Sky Blues attack at Hull City this weekend.

Gary McSheffrey: Doncaster winner was 'one of most important goals in my career'

GARY McSheffrey believes his superb winner against Doncaster is one of the most important goals of his Coventry City career.

AN old football cliche says luck levels itself out over a season. For Coventry City it has done so inside three days

Unlucky to lose after a fine performance on Saturday they were fortunate to come away with three points last night against Doncaster

An even first half was followed by a second dominated by Doncaster. Only a series of fine saves by Keiren Westwood ensured we were in a position to win with a late McSheffrey goal.

So as fans should we despair about last night or delight in Saturday's performance ?

PM975855@Coventry-City-v-De.jpg

Gary McSheffrey delights Aidy Boothroyd - despite touchline outburst

AIDY Boothroyd hailed Gary McSheffrey last night after the second-half substitute sealed a dramatic 2-1 win against Doncaster Rovers with a diving header straight out of the Keith Houchen handbook of horizontal heroics.

Coventry City 2 Doncaster Rovers 1 - Andy Turner's verdict

HAVING taken an hour to turn their dominance into a consolation goal against Preston on Saturday, it took Coventry City just 90 seconds to make a breakthrough against Doncaster.

LIKE all football supporters I hate to see my team lose. But there are many types of defeat,and some are easier to take than others

When you know the team hasn't played with heart and commitment and collapsed to weak opposition it's truly too hurtful. The last game of last season was such a game and it still hurts to think about

There's cases where the team gives it's all and is just beaten by a better team. They still hurt but not as much

But then there are games like Saturday's where the team give everything play stylish football but still lose. As being a fan can mean taking a long term view you can even come out of those smiling

PM1022646@DJ180910CITY_54.jpg

Coventry City set for fresh contract talks with Aron Gunnarsson

ARON Gunnarsson is set for renewed contract talks with Coventry City.

Mike Malyon's live blog: Coventry City v Doncaster Rovers

MIKE MALYON will be hosting an evening of banter and debate as Coventry City bid to bounce back to winning ways against Doncaster Rovers tonight (Tuesday).

PM1031702@DJ250910CITY_12.jpg

Marlon King set to spearhead Coventry City attack tomorrow

MARLON King looks set to spearhead the Coventry City attack in tomorrow's home match against Doncaster Rovers.

Coventry City 1 Preston North End 2 - Andy Turner's verdict

WITH precisely 52 minutes and 30 seconds showing on the clock Marlon King was welcomed to the Ricoh Arena with open arms by Coventry City fans.

Saturday's game was one of the most frustrating ever seen at the Ricoh. After beating Portsmouth and Derby and drawing with Leicester. City arguably had their best home performance of the season....and yet lost.

In previous home games we conceded a lot of possession and made the most of our chances. Saturday was a complete reversal.

City had most of the possession and nearly all the chances. Where the defence had looked fairly solid in previous games, it had a game that it would want to forget with two defensive errors costing us.

PM946747@7959924.jpg

Marlon King handed Coventry City's No.9 shirt

MARLON King has been handed the Coventry City No.9 shirt and the striker can't wait to get stuck into Preston North End.

Mike Malyon's live blog: Coventry City v Preston North End

TAKE part in Mike Maylon's live text as Coventry City take on Preston North End at the Ricoh Arena.

WITH the signing of Marlon King this week it's worth reflecting on whether this will prove to be a good football decision

In the pre season period I wrote of the need for a prolific goalscorer if we were going to be in a position to challenge at the top of the table. We were being linked with James Beattie at the time.

That proved to be groundless but as Ian Palmer details in his blog the coy Boothroyd of June has become the suitor in September

Just what sort of player has joined us ?. To hear some of the City players interviewed an absolute top class one. In some of the critics eyes an overpraised short term success at Watford