August 2010 Archives

IN the Coventry Telegraph today there is an article on a lady called Phyllis Pyle who has just celebrated her one hundreth birthday.

She is a Coventry City supporter and has been since the age of twelve making her probably the oldest living Sky Blue fan, and longest too I should think with a staggering eighty eight years of support.

And in 1987 she was at the F.A.Cup final to see the City win the Cup,and she got told off for standing on her seat celebrating the victory, she was 76 years old at the time.

PM891324@DJ020710CITY_4.jpg

Quiet transfer deadline day for Coventry City?

IT looks set to be a quiet transfer deadline day at Coventry City after the club revealed that they are under no pressure to sign Marlon King.

Sky Blue Thinking column: Ref justice for Coventry City

ONE of Aidy Boothroyd's more admirable managerial traits is that he doesn't go in for the 'we was robbed' school of post-match interview.

FIND out the latest Coventry City news and all the rest of the football on Transfer Deadline Day as it happens.

We'll be hosting a national Transfer Deadline Day Blog, bring you all the deals as they happen up to today's 5pm deadline.

The blog will appear below...

Saturday's team selection showed that no matter who the player is, they can not be guaranteed a starting place. Following a 2-1 victory against Derby, Boothroyd rang the changes. Out went Westwood, Turner, Doyle, Eastwood and Jutikiewicz. Turner was injured and would have played following his man of the match performance the previous week.

Changing a winning team, needs a brave manager and it is something that Boothroyd had stated he wouldn't be afraid of doing. I for one applaud it.

The four five one formation we employed, like Derby did to us the week before, looked like getting us a point until some indiscipline from Carl Baker.

One of the current luxuries at Boothroyd's disposal is the size of the current squad that allows him the luxury to make so many changes and to bring in some quality players. Having players like Gunnarsson, Clingan, Wood and McPake featuring on the bench so often this season would have been un-thinkable last season. What would some of our previous managers given for a bench with those players on?

PM377809@88965043MR030_Cove.jpg

Keiren Westwood's two-week deadline to decide Coventry City future

KEIREN Westwood has been given a two-week deadline to decide whether he is part of Coventry City's future.

Millwall 3 Coventry City 1 - Alan Poole's verdict

AIDY Boothroyd declined to detail what disciplinary action he'll be taking against Carl Baker, who effectively condemned Coventry City to their first league defeat of the season when he collected two inexcusable yellow cards in the space of seven minutes.

PM377809@88965043MR030_Cove.jpg

It's decision time for Keiren Westwood, says Aidy Boothroyd

COVENTRY City boss Aidy Boothroyd has urged Keiren Westwood to accept a new deal at Coventry City - and warned him about the risks he will be facing if he decides to run down the remaining ten months of his current contract so he can become a free agent.

Vote: Give your opinion on signing Marlon King

MARLON KING has trained with Coventry City this week with the Sky Blues on the brink of signing the controversial striker permanently.

G T

Westwood Gamble?

By G T on Aug 27, 10 10:30 AM in Fans

With the high profile offered to so many footballers these days, their every move highlighted by the tabloid press, as if they were some sort of figurehead to look up to. Add to that the increasing role of agents, constantly telling them that they are worth their weight in gold, is it any wonder so many of them are looking for a "New Challenge" or "More Security" for the future.

It looks to all the world as if Kieran Westwood has fallen into this trap, thinking (or believing his own press) that he is "Better than Coventry City" or "Too big for the Championship".

Where does he go from here, probably onto the bench of a Premier League Club as second or third choice. He is a good keeper, but far from being a great keeper. He was everyone's player of the season last year, but against what competition? He has had some good games for CCFC and has made many very good saves, but that is his job.
He is not a Peter Shilton, or Pat Jennings, does not have the natural ability of a Joe Hart, or the commanding of the box of a Peter Schmeichael or Brad Friedel.

We have had potential great keepers in the past, with the accolades heaped upon a young Chris Kirkland, the world seemed to be at his feet. He got his move to the Big Time at Liverpool and a belated England Cap, but where does he sit in the International scene now?

There are many other decent keepers in the lower divisions waiting to take his place and we should all wish him well, he has been well rewarded for his services here, but maybe he needs reminding that the grass is not always greener!

Steady yourselves: I'm about to say something that isn't about Marlon King or the possible motives for putting a cat in a wheelie bin...

The Sky Blues actually have a match on the horizon!

It's easy to forget about Millwall away this Saturday when there's so much to talk about. But let's not forget that neither Marlon or Lola will be playing, so maybe we should turn our attentions away from the popular pair, just for a moment...

PM632168@DJ170210CITY_18.jpg

Richard Wood not for sale, says Aidy Boothroyd

COVENTRY City boss Aidy Boothroyd says that Richard Wood is not for sale under any circumstances.

Coventry City spot king Lukas Jutkiewicz winning fitness fight

COVENTRY City hope that new penalty king Lukas Jutkiewicz will be fit to spearhead the attack as they defend their unbeaten Championship record at Millwall on Saturday.

WITH his imminent arrival it's time for those who've taken particular views on the matter to decide what they do next

I've written before on the subject and suggested its not a simple matter,but most fans are taking definite stands one way or the other. The blogs on banter have attracted particularly fierce comment

Those who feel they can't support a Coventry City with Marlon King in it will presumably not come to the Ricoh whilst he's here. That's a principled stand any one could understand

Those who've contended his private life is immaterial should ask themselves what sort of person they want to be a Coventry player, There's been a debate about whether Marlon King is a good player. It's also worth asking if he's a good person