July 2010 Archives

ITS been a couple of days now since we added to the Coventry City squad. Aidy Boothroyd mentioned he was looking for up to ten players and I wasn't sure he meant it but he's getting there

But with seven additions to what remains from last season and Doyle's return from his season long loan I believe I counted a squad twenty eight players strong

More than a few of them can play in different positions so Aidy isn't short of options when he picks the team. Plus more are due to come in before the season starts

In a lot of ways this is good news. No club every challenged at the top end of the table without having a strong squad. There's ample cover for injuries and loss of form for example

PM891324@DJ020710CITY_4.jpg

Aidy Boothroyd keeps players guessing over starting line-up

AIDY Boothroyd is happy to keep his Coventry City players guessing as to his preferred starting line-up for the new season.

Jimmy Hill and Sixties' legends at Ricoh Arena

AIDY Boothroyd has urged Sky Blues fans to get themselves along to the Ricoh Arena tomorrow to honour Jimmy Hill and support the appeal to fund a statue of the legendary figure.

TJL

Sky Blue Ins and Outs: Summer 2010

By TJL on Jul 30, 10 11:56 AM in

DEFENCE

IN : RICHARD KEOGH, STEPHEN O'HALLORAN

OUT : STEPHEN WRIGHT, DIMI KONSTANTOPOULOS, ELIOTT WARD, MARCUS HALL

On the face of it, our defensive options have been greatly improved, although we've seen more departures than arrivals.

The experienced heads of Stephen Wright and Marcus Hall have been replaced with the younger and more exciting Keogh and O'Halloran.

Keogh.jpg

It's arguable that the defensive line is where experience is needed most, however we haven't had much joy with aged defenders in recent years, with Arjan De Zeeuw seemingly embarking on a one man mission to prove that he is in fact the slowest man in football during his time at the Ricoh

NOT long to go now till the new season starts again and I'm really looking forward to it, then again I say that every season, a fresh start with the slate wiped clean full of optimism and high expectations.

Every team in the Championship and their fans will be feeling the same and if they aren't then something must be wrong.

Aidy Boothroyd has done a lot of positive talking since taking over as manager, he's one of the most upbeat talkers I've heard in football for a very long time.

PM936819@2965341.jpg

Marlon King: Deal or no deal?

DISGRACED striker Marlon King will soon be released from prison after serving half his 18-month sentence for sexual assault and speculation is rife that he will rejoin Coventry City's Aidy Boothroyd, his manager at Watford.

Shrewsbury Town 0 Coventry City 0 - Andy Turner's verdict

KEIREN Westwood helped maintain Coventry City's impressive run of clean sheets with a second half penalty save against Shrewsbury at Greenhous Meadow.

LOOKING at our pre season results it would be easy to decide we have a super defence and a useless attack

Six clean sheets in a row are a manager's dream whatever the class of opposition. However five goals scored in those games is less impressive

But as I've written before it's clear that the pre season a lot more experimentation has been going on than we might usually see. Aidy needs to firm up for the West Brom game and show both the players and fans exactly who might play against Portsmouth and in what formation

THE SIGNING of Lukas Jutkiewicz (I'm sure that name will keep the commentators busy this season) manifests perfectly the direction in which Coventry City should be heading. He is a player who no-doubt fits the bill for Ray Ranson; young, hungry to succeed and reasonably priced.

img_jutkiewicz.jpg

This transfer policy has been greatly successful for the club since Ranson's arrival, and long may it continue to be. Some may argue that signing young players and proceeding to sell them after a few seasons is not the best way to run a football club, but I've come to accept that this is just the way that football works. The club's books are balanced, and the fans are able to enjoy watching talented young players plying their trade for the Sky Blues.

PM936106@DJ260710LUKA_1.jpg

Lukas Jutkiewicz can't wait for Portsmouth opener

LUKAS Jutkiewicz is set to make his Coventry City debut against Shrewsbury tonight but the 21-year-old is counting down the days to play his first competitive match.

Coventry City's search for star striker continues

AIDY Boothroyd is still looking for someone to fill Coventry City's No.9 shirt despite splashing out on Everton striker Lukas Jutkiewicz.

PM891324@DJ020710CITY_4.jpg

Coventry City make official bid for Everton FC striker

COVENTRY CITY have today made an official bid for Everton FC striker Lukas Jutkiewicz.

I had unfinished business with Coventry City, says Lee Carsley

LEE Carsley insists he has got "unfinished business" to take care of almost a decade on from leaving Coventry City.

When Chris Coleman signed Michael McIndoe, the City fans were pleased. At last we had signed a naturally left footed winger with the ability to cross the ball and score the odd goal. A couple of good performances against City in previous seasons had brought him to the attention of the City faithful.

After a reasonably bright start to the season, his formed dipped much like the teams. A lack of competition for his place, our only alternative being Freddie Eastwood, meant that he was playing games when out of form.

Fans now seem to be split as to whether he brings anything to side or not.

So can he win over the fans and recapture his early season form of last season?