June 2010 Archives

AS the England team made thier way home after an inept World Cup campaign I was left with an uncomfortable feeling.It was just like some of the dreadful performances produced at the Ricoh last season

The same poor delivery from the wings.The same endless passing without penetrating in the final third of the pitch. The same diet of long shots instead of forcing the keeper to save

And perhaps the most depressing the same cases of schoolboy defending. The way our centre halves parted for Klose's first goal against Germany reminded me of a comical goal we conceded away to Scunthorpe

PM875707@.jpg

Roy O'Donovan aiming to copy Andy Morrell work ethic

A PLAYER who models his work ethic on popular former Coventry City striker Andy Morrell shouldn't go far wrong with the fans.

Lloyd Sam: I'd be happy to go on trial

IN-DEMAND Coventry City target Lloyd Sam says he'll be happy to go on trial as he seeks a new club.

PM883420@.jpg

Richard Keogh excited over Coventry City move

CROWD-PLEASER Richard Keogh is hoping to be an instant hit with Coventry City fans.

Coventry City World Cup 2010 - last 16: Games three and four

ENGLAND'S World Cup dream might be over, but our competition to decide the best Coventry City player of all time is still alive and kicking.

PM881210@4334429.jpg

Coventry City set to swoop for Carlisle United defender

NO-NONSENSE attacking right-back Richard Keogh is set to join Coventry City this week.

Simon Grayson yet to decide on Michael Doyle future?

MICHAEL DOYLE looks set to return to pre-season training with Coventry City with his future in limbo.

BP2856702@.jpg

Stephen O'Halloran can't wait to start Coventry City career

STEPHEN O'Halloran is looking to put his injury nightmare behind and kick-start his highly promising career with Coventry City.

Middlesbrough set for £2.5 Gary Hooper deal

GARY HOOPER is on the verge of moving to Middlesbrough in a £2.5m move, online speculation claims.

PM377809@88965043MR030_Cove.jpg

No offers for Keiren Westwood, says Aidy Boothroyd

AIDY Boothroyd says he fully expects star goalkeeper Keiren Westwood to sign a new contract to keep him at the Ricoh Arena.

Gary McSheffrey "can still fill his huge potential"

GARY McSHEFFREY'S return to Coventry City can help him fulfil his huge potential, according to a national football columnist.

PM796150@3931904.jpg

Aidy Boothroyd cool on Marlon King link

AIDY Boothroyd would consider giving shamed striker Marlon King a fresh start at Coventry City - but stressed that at the moment he has got other attacking targets in mind.

Coventry City swoop for Aston Villa defender

COVENTRY CITY have snapped up Aston Villa's Irish left-back Stephen O'Halloran on a free transfer.

AIDY BOOTHROYD has began reshaping the City squad in the last few days. He continued his charm offensive with the City fans by bringing Garry McSheffrey back to the club

I know that's a move that some fans have questioned but I for one think it's a positive one. We are faced with a need to build a squad on not vast resources and this is a good start

We have another option on the left side of midfield if needed and an addition to the strike force. Four years on he won't be the player that he was perhaps. However like Boothroyd said he brings experience gained in that time back with him

PM863752@DJ210610GARY_5.jpg

Gary McSheffrey planning to bring back Coventry City sparkle

RETURNING Coventry City hero Gary McSheffrey is looking forward to recapturing his old goal magic as he returns to the club where he started his career.

Aidy Boothroyd: Gary McSheffrey is first signing of many

AIDY Boothroyd has hailed the capture of old boy Gary McSheffrey as a "massive coup" for Coventry City.

With Chris Coleman's sacking and the speculation surrounding a new manger, another news story slipped by without much comment, yet it is one that arguably will have more effect on City's chances of promotion than the choice of the new manager will.

On May 11th, the Football League voted to accept a 'Gift' from the Premier League of £ 2.3 Million per Championship Club per season in exchange for allowing the 'Parachute Payment' for clubs relegated from the Premiership to be extended to £ 48 Million per club across four seasons.

At present relegated Premiership Clubs get £ 8 million for two seasons. The new proposal means that the relegated clubs will now receive £16 million for the first two with the remaining monies spread across the following two seasons.

I can understand the logic of Championship Clubs accepting the 'Gift'. The addition £1 Million will go a long way to plugging the shortfall in revenue at City and many other Championship clubs.

However with three clubs Championship clubs getting nearly £14 million each more than the rest of the clubs in the same Division, there will be a huge gulf developing. The same kind of gulf that exists at the top of the Premiership.

We saw last season how competitive WBA 11 points clear of third and Newcastle 23 points clear of third, were having managed to retain a lot of their quality players following relegation.

Yes Middlesbrough didn't get promoted but if there Parachute payment was double, i think they would have at least made the play-offs.

So have City and the rest of the Championship put short term financial gain over long term ambition?