August 2009 Archives

Ian Palmer

Who's the man for City?

By Ian Palmer on Aug 31, 09 06:21 PM in Fans

As another transfer window nears closure it could be a busy time at the Ricoh Arena. Chris Coleman has already expressed his desire to bring in at least one more face before the deadline at 5:00pm on Tuesday.

Coleman will also be anxious to keep his top players with Everton heavily rumoured to make a late move for Keiren Westwood. A bid of £10m is what it would take to tempt City to part with the Republic of Ireland international, according to his manager.

Leon McKenzie looks to be on his way out after reportedly agreeing a contract with Charlton. But let's take a closer look at some of the names that, according to reports and rumours, could be heading to the Ricoh before the deadline.

David Healy (Sunderland)

Sunderland's official website has reported City's interest in the Northern Ireland striker. More fruitful in goals terms at international level than at club level, but would add good competition for City's strikers. Wage demands could scupper a deal.

Age: 30
Height: 5'8"
Position: Striker
08/09 Record: 9 apps. 1 goal
Approx. Value: £600,000
Chance of Signing: 40%

Click below to see the rest...

DON'T miss all the football news from across the Midlands as the transfer deadline approaches.

Our live blog will cover the soccer news, gossip and speculation across the region right up until the 5pm deadline. Just wait for it to appear below...

SO, INSTEAD of returning from Blackpool with their tails up City have instead conspired to just get everyone's back up.

Gutless, toothless, soulless and if we are not careful "less" points than pretty much every other team if the Management and playing staff do not accept some collective responsibility for what was a drubbing from The Seasiders.

Mozza B

Don't Worry... we're strong!

By Mozza B on Aug 30, 09 10:46 AM in Fans

I ARRIVED home late last night after witnessing another abject performance from the Sky Blues at Blackpool. Woeful in every sense, it was one of those days when I start to question why I bother.

I was badly in need of a lift by the time I arrived back and thankfully Chris Coleman was on hand via the back page of The Telegraph to provide the perfect pick-me-up.

I WRITE after another hopeless Coventry City performance.

Nobody seriously believes that Blackpool are one of the class teams in this league, but they have totally outplayed us.

Looking at Chris Coleman's view in the Telegraph that he has tough players,it seems a sick joke.

This is not the one-off blip he assured us not to panic about in Friday's paper. Again we have a defence making mistakes under pressure.

Still we see a slow deliberate build up that creates no worthwhile chances.Yet again the forward combination is ineffective.

It seems as poor as the results get,the manager gets more over-confident.

City fans need to see an significant improvement. First we need a dose of realism from the management If we're not to suffer a dire season to come.

WELL after a bright start, we have been well and truly found out this afternoon on the west coast.

While SISU sit in their very plush London offices counting their millions from asset stripping a team so painstakingly built out of nothing, the meagre squad were on the end of a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Blackpool.

Skybluekev

Away day blues

By Skybluekev on Aug 28, 09 08:37 PM in Fans

CITY travel to Blackpool this weekend.

A game we really should win if we want to challenge this season. So a performance much better than the one at Doncaster is needed.

As with many examples, last season showed City dominate at home but pressurised in the away game.

Why should this be so? The people on the pitch are the same only the location of it is different.

City have a large vocal away following, its hard to see why the players should be intimidated.

City must lose their complex about playing away from home. Its the only way we can move the team towards the promotion we all desire.

Thommo

No donkeys at Blackpool

By Thommo on Aug 28, 09 05:52 PM in Fans

COVENTRY CITY head north tomorrow to the Mecca of all that is wrong with hen and stag and needing to shake off the malaise of the last two fixtures.

The Seasiders play at Seaside Way in Blackpool, which is, yes you guessed it, by the coast.

It sounds like the sort of fixture we should win but truth is we haven't won there since March 1923 (admittedly there was a period spanning man landing on the moon and the birth of the internet that we never played each other) and the Tangerines will be buoyant after their midweek demolition of Wigan in the Rumbelows Cup.

TJL

Do not panic

By TJL on Aug 28, 09 05:46 PM in Fans

TODAY, Chris Coleman told Coventry City fans not to panic after Saturday's result against Swansea.

And to be fair, the sane amongst us will do as we're told. However, as with all football clubs, a fair amount lunatics lie amongst our ranks.

MY BROTHER-IN-LAW bought tickets for Blackpool. For him, his lads, his daughter and her boyfriend.

The daughter and boyfriend changed their minds about going so off Paul, that's my brother-in-law, goes to the ticket office to get a refund of said tickets.