Leon McKenzie ready to answer Chris Coleman's call

By Andy Walker on Aug 10, 08 11:28 AM in News

FORGET Freddy Eastwood and Clinton Morrison, Leon McKenzie believes he can be a new striking sensation for Coventry boss Chris Coleman.

leonmckenzieupright.jpgMcKenzie, 30, has been a Sky Blue for two years but hasn't had a whiff of competitive action under the current man in charge at the Ricoh Arena.

That's because a ruptured thigh ended the ex-Norwich City goal-getter's 2007/08 campaign in December after just 11 appearances and two goals.

So McKenzie has cut a frustrated figure on the sidelines since Coleman, somebody who he played alongside as a youngster at Crystal Palace, started his Sky Blues revolution.

And while all the pre-season talk has been about the arrival of Eastwood and Morrison, the form of Leon Best and the 'will-they-won't- they?' transfer sagas of Michael Mifsud and Kevin Kyle, a fit-again McKenzie has come up on the outside in the forward ranks during Cov's pre-season tours to Switzerland, Austria and Scotland.

He may have been used as a left midfielder in recent games but McKenzie insists that he can offer something across the entire frontline.

And the Croydon-born hitman admits that he may be a familar face to Coleman but he will be like a new signing for the Welshman.

"I believe that I can bring something new for Chris Coleman," he said. "I know him and the gaffer knows all about me because I played with him when I was a kid and he's watched me grow up.

"At the age I'm out now, I've got that added experience and hopefully when the season gets going he'll give us the call.

"I'm a bit of a different player to what he's already got because I can play on the left, right and up front through the middle, so I can give him plenty of options when I go on.

"I'm mainly a striker but I've been played on the left quite a bit at Coventry which is a bit ironic because I like to get on and score goals but I'm OK on the left. It all depends on how the game is going and whether we take a positive, attacking approach.

"The pre-season has helped me get used to playing games again and I haven't had any major problems with injuries during the summer, I've had niggles but nothing to worry about.

"I was happy to see Chris come in because I watched him as a player and he has gone on to management where I have watched his career continue to progress, I'm sure he will do well at Coventry."